Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Interviewing Tanner Artesz

Well, the time is nigh again for us to divert of our usual routine on the blog. Yep. I’m gonna cheat (I’ll bring the curious ones of you up to date on the ongoing over here in the next blog) and post an interview with an Indie published writer from the States. His name is Tanner Artesz, and I already once reviewed one of his books in the past, FYI.

So, what to say about Tanner…there’s not much to say, really, his bio leaves us guessing, so maybe there’s something mysterious behind it. Hmmm. What do you think? According to the brief bio he’s a math teacher who spent 21 years in the trenches of the school system. Very brave! He was born in Baltimore, MD (you tell me, is that suspicious…oh I hope so, hah) and now lives in Suffolk, VA.

But let’s get to the interview, rather than me just speculating here. First, there’s the scene to set. Once again I have traveled abroad (I know, I keep dreaming regardless of it being totally unrealistic at this particular time) and because Tanner is a modest and somewhat shy guy, I have opted to meet him at a quiet coffee shop. I arrive before him and have already consumed a giga-sized black coffee while setting up writing stuffs and tape recorder. Drat I’ve forgotten my camera, so we’ll have to go with the only picture of Tanner available online (one picture? That screams spy in my world, but he could also just be shy. *sigh*).
Here he is:




A bit formal, for sure, but not bad, right?

But there he is, coming in and getting out of his coat before we go through the howdos and whatnots and get our orders on the table. Since I’m already flying high on my coffee, I’m opting for tea and kindly wait for him to get a few sips of his drink in before I hit him with it.

Interview with Tanner Artesz by Samaya Young

Q:
Tanner Artesz. A writer by heart, but who is he really? It is not an easy question, nor is it easy to answer, but try anyway.

A: Mostly, I'm very quiet and shy. I tend not to be noticed. I prefer to be alone with my music, books and writing.


Q: The Lord of Chaos trilogy is your creation. When did the idea first take shape in your mind?

A: I guess sometime in the late 1980's when I was playing D&D quite frequently. I started many stories about my characters through the years. I think Archos was the star of most of the earlier ones. The little lord of chaos grew on me as I played him. He soon became my favorite character and took over the staring role sometime in the mid 1990's.


Q: Have you always wanted to become a writer? At which age did the thought first occur?

A: I've always wanted to be a musician, but I have few skills and less talent in that field. I can remember writing as far back as 9th grade. A poem I wrote impressed one of my teachers and he had it published somewhere. I never did get a copy of that. Writing was more of a hobby to stave off the frustration of performing music.

Q:
You wrote an intricate trilogy about a headstrong little elf. How did that come about? How did Ky come to be?

A: As I mentioned earlier, Ky was one of my D&D characters. I played him as chaotic as possible. Some of the aspects of the Lord of Chaos series are from Dungeon modules I created as the characters became too powerful for the store-bought versions. Cragsguard was the main base of those adventures. The diary about the battle in the temple was a dungeon I created and played with several friends. And just like in the book, Ky would 'disappear' on occasion during the D&D sessions.
I played him as a very stubborn little elf, and completely unpredictable. The only thing that the group could really count on was his loyalty. He never deserted and always watched their backs.

Q:
Having read the first of your trilogy I know that your plot is a complicated one. Could you tell us how your process of plot development works? Intricate schematics or more “going with the flow”?

A: I have a basic idea when I start. Usually, I'll write three of four chapters, then go back and re-read what I've done. As I interact with the characters new twists and turns in the plot develop through them. The only thing I really know when I start a story is the beginning and the ending. The characters help me fill in the gaps.

Q:
How many years have you been working on the Lord of Chaos trilogy?

A: I started working on the current version of the story in about 2006. The whole trilogy took me about four years to write. There was another version before that. Parts of that show up in the new version as Delmaria's journals.

Q:
You biography states that you used to be a teacher in mathematics. Math and literature, not the most obvious combination; how does that go together?

A: Math is in everything. I really like working with numbers and am very intrigued with Chaos Theory and fractals. I like the patterns in Math as well. Some are buried in the story here and there.

Q:
In your book(s) a lot occurs in Austria. Ever been there? What’s the fascination?

A: I've never been to Austria, though I'd like to go some day. There's a quote from the movie August Rush that I think sums up my fascination with Austria: "I believe in music the way some people believe in fairy tales." I have always loved music and most of the classical music I listen to comes from Austrian composers; Mozart, Strauss, Schubert, Haydn, and Beethoven (who went to Austria to work). I also believe that there is magic in music. Micah is the character I chose to bring forth that belief.


Q:
Can you name a few of your own favorite authors, the ones who inspired you over the years?

A: Terry Brooks, J.R.R. Tolkien, Piers Anthony, Ray Bradbury, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain and Michael Moorcock

Q:
What is the first book you read that absolutely wowed you?

A: That's hard to say. I've been reading since I was very young. As a kid, probably Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn. Somewhere in there I read "The Old Man and the Sea." I think it was a school assignment, but it became one of my all time favorite stories. One of the earliest I remember from teen/adult times is Dandelion Wine, by Bradbury. From there I read Martian Chronicles and an awesome short story of his called "The Skeleton." I think Tolkien was next. He led me to find more books with elves in them. Terry Brooks followed him.

Q:
Where do you get information for your writing? The Internet, or do you dive into some ancient library and get your hands dirty?

A: Most of what's in my stories is from my imagination. I really did not have to research much. The few bits and pieces of historical correctness probably came from my years in college earning my teaching degree. My endorsement is in middle school education and they expect you to be able to teach all four of the core subjects.

Q:
What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have a day job?

A: I'm currently looking for a day job. They're hard to find around here. Evenings I either listen to music, watch a movie or play games on the computer.

Q:
How about a hobby?

A: My hobby is collecting. I collect stamps, trading cards, records and CDs, and autographs.

Q:
No man is an island. Who, through the hardships of creating a fiction saga, stood behind you all the while?

A: My three 'editor' friends. All three books are dedicated to them.

Q:
Do any of your characters remind you of people in real life? Did someone inadvertently get a lead in the Lord of Chaos?

A: Two of my friends did. I won't mention who they are in real life, but the characters are Delmaria, Stumpy, and Fury.

Q: What do you consider the hardest part of writing a novel? Character
interactions? Plot? Other?

A: I guess keeping the plot from getting too complicated. I really get into my characters, all of them. Every one of them wants a solo. Trying to do that makes the plot far too convoluted.

Q:
What inspires you?

A: Music. I like to listen to instrumentals, classical, big band, rock, etc. I let my mind wander as I do. The other main source of inspiration is dreams. Sometimes a story will haunt me night after night until I start to write it down.

Q:
Any particular quirks when you write? You withdraw to a safe haven of silence and tranquility, or you seek out the hubbub of the nearest, let’s say, Starbucks?

A: I write at night when I'm less likely to be disturbed. I have a very hard time writing with outside distractions. I will listen to classical music while I write. It calms me and helps me think better.

Q:
Any other books in the making? What’s it about, and will you be publishing this as well?

A: Three. Two are on the back burner for the moment. Those are kaben nine and Cycle of Death. The first is about two demigod siblings and their plot to rid themselves of their father so they can do what they want. The second is more of a paranormal detective thing. The main character is a detective that can read the memories of objects to solve mysteries.
The third one returns to El'elasia. It begins about two hundred years after Vengeance. This story focuses more on Eldar elves and William and his family are the lead characters. I don't want to say too much about it because it would contain spoilers for Vengeance if I do.
I'm also working on a puzzle book. If it's finished before the new installment, all the puzzles will have something to do with the original trilogy. If not, some of the new story will be included also.

Q:
Last one. You have one free hour to do with as you will, what will you do?

A: I would write, listen to music, work on my stamp collection, draw, bang on my guitar or piano, or play some game. If I had two free hours, I might opt to watch a movie.

That done, coffee consumed, some laughter shared over mutual experiences in writing, we say our goodbyes because let’s face it, I have a flight waiting to return me to reality. It was a pleasure doing the interview however, and I hope that y’all enjoyed reading it.

So that was it, the interview with Tanner Artesz, Indie author with three books just waiting to be picked up by some lucky reader. He’s available on Amazon, so do check him out.

Well, that was it for me, I guess. I’ve got work to do. The book to edit, hilarious chats to join in on on the chat forums and…well, I’ll share the next time round.

No comments: